Hulu really doesn’t like non-Americans

hss-logoWell it looks like our trusty Hotspot Shield solution for getting onto Hulu from outside of the United States is no more. You see, Hulu – the number two video site on the web, carrying a huge range of legal TV/Movie content only for those in the United States – has now started to block anonymous proxies (which is how HotSpot Shield got around their defences previously) according to TechCrunch. If you’re in the US, you’ll need to disable your anonymizer to get to Hulu – the rest of us can just let go of the dream for now.

What do you think it’ll take to get around these crazy media “borders” and why are they there in the first place? You’d think we’d be beyond that, given that the internet is essentially borderless.

10 Responses to “Hulu really doesn’t like non-Americans”

1. John says:

And here I was just about to snip the cord on the cableā€¦

2. Syd says:

Yeah.. this is one reason why I setup my own US proxy. A $8.95 / US a month charge offers more value that adding content on demand to my existing cable subscription.

3. Jeff says:

@John: Still lots of other way to get content, though, and Hotspot Shield should work fine for the US network sites. Just sucks that Hulu is imposing these restrictions so fervently.

@Syd: Cool – I’ve heard of people doing this (I have a friend who has gone in with a group of people to share the same kind of thing). So what are the steps to setting something like this up? I’m sure the decabled folks would love to know!

4. Bumpershine says:

Hulu just released a desktop app, you probably saw it trending on Twitter yesterday http://www.hulu.com/labs/hulu-desktop.

5. Jeff says:

Yeah, would love to see what the Hulu desktop looks like but, again, no access for non-US users, which is a real shame. Kinda strange (although I can imagine why) that they don’t really gear this up to watch on your TV, too :-) .

Thanks for the update Bumpershine!

6. Mike says:

With virtual private servers so cheap now (Linode.com has some great plans), one could just set up a server down in the US as a VPN endpoint & connect that way – much better than a proxy!

7. Syd says:

Hi Jeff. I used the setup from this site to help me set up the VPN client. http://howto.landure.fr/gnu-linux/debian-4-0-etch-en/install-and-setup-openvpn-on-debian-4-0-etch

8. Thhen follow the road over until you hit the graveyard, and a goup
    off lobotomites. But theree is also a realiuty that most off the jumk car companies accet onnly a ffew
    car models. Thhe copper electric wire is of very hiigh puity buut encased in insulation which must be removed.

9. Roosevelt says:

It’s going to be ending off mine day, but before finish I am reading tthis fantastic pot
    to increase my know-how.

Here is my webpage web directgory permissions composite c1, Roosevelt,

10. The more details yoou feed into this tool, the more comprehensive the schedule
    would be. Putting a ward a bit in front of your center tower is
    specifically fulfilling, as when you teleport inn and cast your ultimate although your opponents aree attacking your tower,
    they will be pinched in and bbe forced to move into the topwer where all your teammates await, or
    back again toward you for an icy surprise of greatest dying.
    After getting one rank in Twilight Shroud, alternate between raising
    Mark of the Assassin annd Crescent Slash, also raising your ultimate
    (Shadow Dance) whenever yyou can.